After months of hard work by my nephew Andy, the app I have always wanted for Jason is now available for everyone using iPad! We decided to call it "ChoiceBoard Maker" to highlight the fact that it is more a tool for customizing choice boards than an app with everything ready made. I have only had to tell him what I want, and I let him figure out the technical part. Of course, I had to at least contribute by writing up the app features for the official launch. Initially he was not quite ready for the launch. But the beta version that I had expired and he had to reload to my iPad again. Adding to the fact that I will be leaving Canada, I urged him to speed up the launch so I don't have to worry about another expiry. So with my relentless pressure, he finished some final details of the app last week. It was only 2 days after the launch and we were quite surprised to see more than 1500 downloads already. This is a pleasant surprise to both me and Andy, who often doubt the potential of this app. There are many features that I want to see added of course, but since he is still busy with his school work, (he is 4-year engineering student) I will spare him for until later. There are some darn good review too and I am so happy his hard work does finally get rewarded. Of course, his insistence to make this a free app (in its current version, at least) in order to help other children like Jason also warms my heart.
Jason looooves using his iPad now. Whenever I give him the choice to do something vs iPad, he will say iPad for sure with a big smile. I use ChoiceBoard Maker to let him choose his favorite music, motivate his visual skills by touching at the requested object (e.g. Find the duck) etc... I'd also use a doodle app which allows me to type a word and save it in the iPad image library. Then I present Jason with whatever sight words I happen to need at that moment, and he will choose between those words. This is done either in context (e.g. choosing which activity to do: piano vs computer) or as a stand-alone activity (e.g. word recognition).
Jason enjoys everything done with this app and he now knows what is expected from him - touching and pointing! Who needs a mouse? It's so difficult to control! Who needs dual-switches for step-scanning? It's more complicated than setting a VCR program! Fingers are all we need! Thanks to Apple, Thanks to iPad, and Thanks to Andy. You all together have opened up more possibilities for Jason, that I have never thought of. Even though he is not 100% solid with his pointer skill, just that fact that he thinks it's fun makes it a great learning tool.
Love it!!! But your leaving .. how far are you going? Please keep blogging and stay in touch.
ReplyDeleteJust wondering how your doing .. I hope you are comfortable in your new home. How is Jason liking the change?
ReplyDelete