Marcy also mentioned to me Dr. Nuzzo who performs a unique procedure called PERCS or SPML (Selective Percutaneous Myofascial Lengthening). It is a relatively non-invasive surgery where the myofascial layers of the legs or heels are lengthened. Wai was so excited when he heard about this surgery, due to its potential to help straighten Jason's legs, making him more possible to stand and bear weight. However, after checking with Leonid, he was quite sure that this will not help Jason, if not make it worse in the long run. This will be at the top of prayer items from this day on and I rely on God's guidance on whether or not to go for it. The good thing is that the cost of this surgery is most likely covered by OHIP, if not, by Wai's employer's group benefit plan. So cost should not be a factor in making our decision.Just came back from our week-long trip to New York. The main purpose of the trip is to have ABM lessons with Marcy Lindheimer, who was second only to Anat Baniel herself. I don't expect Marcy to do magic over the course of 6 days but in just 2 lessons, Marcy got Jason to sit cross-legged (Indian style) while keeping his back tall. Jason's pelvis has been so stiff lately that he hasn't been in this position for a long time. Marcy said 'continuity' is crucial if Jason were to benefit from this therapy and she suggested that I go see a local practitioner and only go to her occasionally. I know if I could do this, this will be perfect. For so many years, I just know that ABR and ABM would work wonderfully together for Jason. ABR works on structure through restoring the biomechanical properties of the body, whereas ABM works on functions, "teaching" the child how to access his body, given the limitations, to provide ease of movement. It's difficult to explain both therapies in a simple sentence but they're both gentle, forceless, and stress-free. To me, Anat Baniel and Leonid Blyum are two of the most brilliant human beings that I've ever met. (see Jason enjoying his lesson with Marcy)
Now that's it for therapies. The New York trip turns out to be kind of a vacation for the family, the first one in many many years. Instead of driving 8 hours there, we opted to fly which turned out to be a great decision. New York parking was quite ridiculous and you can see cars parallel-parked bumper to bumper. So without a car, we end up walking a lot and it's great! New York has so much to see and we've covered the entire Broadway Avenue from 86th Street to 44th Street. That's from upper west Manhattan to Times Square! Jason loved it too. I have caught him turning his head several times in his pushchair..apparently something interesting caught his attention.
On our flight to New York. Jason also got to sit in the pilot seat. Yes, you hear me right...theeee Pilot - the guy who flies the plane! We were the last ones to get off the plane because our pushchair was not delivered to the door yet. While waiting at the front rows, I saw the cockpit open so I asked the pilot, who was standing at the door, if I could just take a picture. He said yes...and even asked if Jason wanted to sit in the pilot seat. Of course, Jason didn't care much about that....he's still cognitively not there yet. But without waiting a second, I said YES for him. There he is...
There is more I'd like to share about our trip...among which, the iPad!! They were out of stock in the stores and I was on the wait-list. I was not expecting to get one before I left New York...but I did. I downloaded a few free apps for pre-schoolers and Jason seems to love it at first sight. Will share more next time.
Oh the iPad and New York lucky you I'm soooooo jealous!
ReplyDeleteI bet you and Jason are enjoying the iPad have fun. I'm going to email you about the soccer camp.