Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Solid progress

I am hesitating when I typed the word "solid" in the title.  Nothing is solid when we talked about Jason's progress.  But lately, I am seeing some 'real' gains....gains that stay (fingers crossed), gains that could potentially form a base upon which to build more gains.
Earlier on, I've written about that little breakthrough, that Jason was finally able to answer "yes" and "no" meaningfully.  He is still doing that. With this, we can start to have a little more communication with him.  For example, I like shopping with him now.  We were at Walmart the other day, and I asked if he wants to buy something for daddy on Father's Day. He said Yes.  I picked a white soccer jersey and a black one (exact same style). He said yes to the white and no to the black.  I repeated again by switching the position of the colors, he still picked white.  Then I held up the white one and randomly picked a skeleton head T-shirt and asked him if this is good. He said no!
Then, I asked if he wants to go to McDonalds. (That's a must-go each time we go to Walmart. He just went through the golden arch, and we talked about what to eat without really eating....except when we were in New York.) He said yes of course. Then I asked if he wants a filet o-fish. First he said yes.  Then he shook his head.  What about fries? I asked. He said no. That was quite strange but since we were there just after lunch, I thought I'd ask if he was too full.  He said yes.  That moment was like magic.  I was so touched by his ability to keep up the communication with me, and I couldn't help but wondering...some of those brain cells must have waken up...finally.
Last night, I was teaching him some color words. Red...green...blue.... what's better exercise than to do color sorting while we go through those words? So we took out the long forgotten Lego blocks, and the colored Huggies wet wipes boxes on the shelf and started doing sorting - 2 colors at a time.  We reminded him a little in the beginning...then he did it with 90% accuracy for the red vs green sort.  The red vs blue was 60%.  But this was done when he was tired.  Beth was with me and I can tell she shared the same excitement as me.  We were never able to do this with him properly.  A few years back when we did this, he either threw the blocks, chewed them, or dropped them in the colored boxes randomly.
The long-waited maturation is finally happening....albeit slowly.  I am thinking it must be g-therapy, together with the MB12 vitamins that we've started just about a month ago.  In any case, I am thanking God for keeping our family.  I hope I can spend more time this summer to work with him in order to capitalize on those gains. But I know I tend to have too many ideas without much organization and follow-through.
I am praying to God to help me for things that I'm lacking and give us a rewarding, yet enjoyable summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment