Saturday, March 3, 2012

Human Cloning? What do you think?

I was asked to express opinions about  human cloning on one occasion. I started off differentiating between cloning the entire body (reproductive cloning) vs cloning certain cells/tissues/organs of the body as potential cures or treatments for originally incurable diseases (therapeutic cloning).  My opinion was one of outright objection for reproductive cloning as it poses serious threats to family structure and the human race.  Imagine cloning technology falling in evil hands for malicious intentions, the potential damage is not unlike what we saw in Science fictions and movies, where horrific giants brought about massive destruction of the world.
When it comes to therapeutic cloning. Organ cloning for medical purposes seem to have great potential.  Imagine a patient with a failing kidney would not need to wait for a donor nor would he need to worry about side effects after the transplant. However it touches a very sensitive and controversial boundary of bioethics. For example, I can foresee people using cloning to prevent aging even death.  If this is the case, what is to become of our human race? Is it all good that nobody ages and nobody dies? How about population control? How about food and resource scarcity? Do we then rely on genetically engineered foods and eat vegetables that never grow in soil?

But I am throwing a question here as food for thoughts.  To all parents out there with children who are disabled in one way or another:  If someone offered to clone a good brain out of the not-so-good brain of your child and put it back into your kid's head, would you say yes?

Due to my own religious belief, I had no hesitation to that answer and would definitely say NO.  I believe everything happens for a reason and we are who we are under God's master plan of our lives . Cloning is human attempt to play God and would only bring about more disasters than good.

Welcome to share with me your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment