Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rock-and-rolling with ABR

Came back from the long-anticipated assessment with Leonid, the brain behind ABR. I went there with lots of questions and worries in mind, that Jason's mobility functions seem to getting more limited as an unavoidable side-effect of the ABR process. But I'm so glad to come back with questions answered, and a reassurance that Jason is still on the right track.
Leonid talked about the tent effect, how his back and his legs were moving (or bouncing) in one. Crawling motion in the past were done by what seems like a sling across the shoulder blades and the pelvis, i.e. wrong place wrong movement, so it won't last. Now, as his back and hips are getting released, the legs are left on their own and thus releasing the weakness...sort of. (if I can totally understand and rephrase what he said). He said there are lots of room for release in his back (hour-glass effect). Articulation of his vertebral column will help reducing the tent effect and act as the bridge between the top and the bottom within the shoulder girdle/pelvis/circumferential mass. He also said to expect further elongation of his neck, i.e. his neck will extend further before coming back up.
I don't expect anyone who read this to understand everything I wrote. I am not even sure that I understand this 100% myself. But Leonid was joking that I was one, among others, who asked lots of questions...but how could I not? I really wonder if the other parents understand everything Leonid said? Now that his Russian accent has improved so much, it's clearly not a language issue...but that of technical know-hows.
I really wish I had his brain and his X-ray vision, so I will not be panicky so much during the ABR process. But I'm just a mother...a very eager mother to help my son achieve his potential...whatever that was meant to be.
Anyway, I know Leonid feels good after seeing Jason. If he feels good, I feel good.

Ball Rolling....
We learned the new super soft ball rolling technique. Descent->Roll forward->Rock back...so goes the rhythm. It seems to be an easy, fun way to do 'therapy' on Jason. Jason surprised us by being so cooperative all along the 2-day training. He let us practise on him while lying down on the bench...half asleep...and when he is not, he will look at us with a smiley face or try to grab the ball from us making it a game. When we first started ABR 4 years ago, I never imagined Jason would really lie down and let us work on him...but he did....albeit not without some 'management' on our part. We thank God for Jason and ABR. I just hope God will give me more time and more energy to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment