Wednesday, May 16, 2012

3rd MRI

Jason had his 3rd MRI today at Queen's Mary Hospital. The previous two were done when he was two and six years old. The comparison of his cerebellum at that time was not indicative of any particular syndrome, nor could it rule out a possibility if progressive deterioration. Upon our first neuro appointment in Hong Kong, he suggested we do another to see if there is more information especially the last MRI was already a few years back. We agreed, plus the advancement in imaging technology and resolution nowadays is no way comparable to 6 years ago so hopefully it will tell us more. When we arrived the pediatric ward, I was quite surprised by the friendly attitude of the nurses there. They are kind and very "personal" for lack of a better word. No cold mechanic question and answer, just friendly interaction as if we are there to form a relation. Indeed I saw two young men (later found out they are brothers) in their high teens doing IV in bed. The way they talked to the nurses is like they are a family. One nurse told me many of their patients are there for treatment once a month since they were kids so they are indeed like family. When it's time for Jason to get the catheter injected to the back of his hand, I saw the houseman's (doctor trainee) hand shaking as he directed the needle towards Jason's skin. Who knows if this is his first injection or what but I refrained myself from saying anything. Yet I simply couldn't look at it. Indeed he didn't make it through to Jason's veins. Another nurse (very experienced) came to help and still it took the second needle to put it through. So that's four pokes in total. I've been through this before and it's not easy even for grown-ups. Poor Jason was twitching his face in pain but no crying or whining or struggling. He's my hero and they all said he's a brave boy. Later on, the nurse fed him liquid hydro chlorate to make him sleep. He got limpy very soon but wasn't sleeping deeply. Anyway he was pushed to the MRI room without us. We were told this would take 30min to an hour. But he was there for over 80 minutes. I couldn't help but go check him at the recovery room but no Jason in sight. The assistant told me he had moved in the process so they had to redo it. I couldn't help but think if that means they had to do an anaesthesia injection, and that means my boy had to suffer more. Then it was almost time for me to go to work and I simply couldn't leave without seeing him first so silly me got teary. I called my boss and told him I will be late. The wait was long and finally after one and a half hour, enough time to get your appendix removed, he was out in the recovery room. He is still sleeping. Worried, I asked the nurse if he had a GA injection. Thank God it wasn't necessary. I just hope that the report will give us more information about his condition or better yet, rule out the case of atrophy. Jason is truly a hero and I know God is watching him. He listens to his prayers at night when Jason says "Amen" with all his might.

No comments:

Post a Comment