First week of school was a short week (4 days). As everyone is trying to adjust to the new schedule, I expect things to be erractic. Indeed, the school bus that was supposed to pick him in the morning changed the pick-up time 3 times in 4 days. And the school bus that sent him home took as long as 50 minutes to finish the route. From my memory, this took longer than when Jason went to Bloorview School which is in midtown Toronto. I must admit I was a little concerned. First, it was a longer day than Jason can handle. Then, the long and bumpy ride was also a concern because Jason hates going on a wheelchair bus because every time the bus went over a bumpy part of the road, the sensory input to his system can be shocking and hurtful and he would cry big time...poor thing. My tender heart wants to take over the transportation responsibility, so Jason can have a comfortable ride to and from school, in his own van. But Tina my friend gave me a frank advice...that I should let Jason learn to tolerate and handle this. Especially if we are to return to Hong Kong since we won't be having our own vehicle in Hong Kong and Jason would be on a school bus anyway. This is true, so I just have to bite my lips and give Jason a little more time to learn and get used to the situation. Thank God when Jason returned home Friday, the very nice school bus driver told me she tried to go on the left lane to avoid the bumpy curbsides and Jason didn't cry that day.
Yes we all have to learn to adapt to new situations. And there maybe more ways to handle a situation than you think. By not taking it over in my own hands, I have now given others an opportunity to offer help, and Jason now gets to receive the love and care from another person. This is how a friendly community should live.
No comments:
Post a Comment