Saturday, September 4, 2010

New school New energy

I received a call Monday from Jason's school principal that they have arranged Jason to transfer to a new school. This school was just a tad bit farther than the current one but it only took us about 17 minutes to drive there, not bad.
I told Jason he is going to a new school and guess what? He said No. He was nervous. Who said he doesn't have feelings? So I took him to the new school yesterday (without an appointment) cause I was told the teacher and the EA should be there. We went in the main entrance and was immediately greeted warmly by the vice principal. We were guided by the secretary to what would be his new classroom and in there are his new teacher Paul and 2 EA. They were so glad to see us and told me they were just saying how nice if they could meet the kids and parents before school so it doesn't get too overwhelmed on the first day of school. We felt our visit was warmly welcomed and not being thought of as intrusive. As we talked, I can feel the energy among them was positive, that they seemed to be working as a team of equal, and not with a hierarchy of ranks (teacher-nurse-EA, etc...). This is something quite different from the old school. I still remember one time when I told Jason Mrs. L (who was the EA) was his "teacher", (how would u explain otherwise the meaning of EA to a, say 4-year-old?)the actual teacher had the guts to correct me! Also, for the first time in Jason's school years, he was allowed to call the teacher by his name to make it easier for him. (I have been complaining to myself for a long time. It's just too hard to pronounce "Misus" and "Mister" for kids like Jason, not to mention the tongue-twisting last names.)
Anyway, as I handed in 5 pages of "All About Jason", the EA was so grateful and immediately studied them one item at a time, asking me questions as she went along. I felt good. Because at least I found someone who actually cares.
As the grown-ups were all standing up talking, Jason, while in his push chair, was paying careful attention with his neck and head up especially to Paul, giving a big smile every now and then. The EAs noticed and said Jason seemed to like his new teacher a lot. Yes, it did seem so. I was relieved.

Jason was particularly bright yesterday also, as if to show off what he can do. This is quite different from the sluggish silent little boy couple days ago (it so happened that I was having a bad cough those days and I wasn't paying a lot of attention to him). I told the teacher Jason can answer yes or no to simple questions. Then during the course of our conversation, the EA asked Jason if he was thirsty, and he said "yes". Later, I asked if he wants to go pee pee, he shook his head to demonstrate the "no". I asked him to say Hi Paul, he said it perfectly. The EA was quite impressed and told me Jason seems to be the highest functioning kid in class. When she said that, I was a little concerned that Jason will have no interaction with his peers. But then I figured, even in his old classroom, there was no true interaction among them if there were no constructive guidance from adults anyway. Besides, I begin to see this as a plus. With a relatively quiet class, Jason will have less distraction. He will not need to wear his headphone for computer work, which he hates. What's more, given his compromised processing speed and response rate, he doesn't have to compete to talk or answer a question. Instead, he will be given all the time he needs. Could this be my wishful thinking only? Maybe. But at least after the meeting yesterday, we all left with a smile and a sense of hope that this will be a better school year.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow it sounds so wonderful Lillian, I've been blogging a bit about Ashley's first week too she is enjoying school and her new EA as well. I can't wait to read more about Jason new school. I hope your doing well. Do you get Rhonda's email about the CTN events there is a coffee chat for parents Sept 22nd in the morning when Jason would be at school perhaps you can come and we can meet in person.

    ReplyDelete