Sunday, September 26, 2010

iPad app designed for Jason is finished!

Thanks to Andy (my nephew), the app myChoice is finally completed. It is not officially rolled out yet but I have the privilege to use it for more than a month now.

It is inspired by the program called "Choose-it Maker" by Macromedia which is a choice making software for PC using touch screen, mouse click, or switches. I have been using it to set up activities so as to teach Jason step-scanning using two switches, with little success. Step scanning, after all, is a complicated concept and is cognitively demanding. It also requires coordinated use of both hands to control two switches and this is something very challenging for Jason. The invention of iPad, and the emergence of many new apps for communication caught my attention and I know Jason can use one, eventually, by simply touching a button on the iPad screen. So I asked Andy, who is into his 4th year of computer engineering, to make an app for Jason that does just what I want. And he, for the love of his little cousin, and the aspiration to do something meaningful to give back to the world, agreed to take up the challenge.

After months of preparation to familiarize with the App design software, programming and testing, the app was finally finished last month. Although it does not have a lot of fancy graphics and aesthetic elements, it does exactly what I need. Here is a video showing Jason using it. His touch-to-choose skill is not rock solid yet but he is getting there for sure.


I can't believe just a few months ago, this was just a possibility....but now it is a dream come true. Thanks to Apple for providing such an ingenious platform, and thanks of course to my very smart and soft-hearted nephew who did what he promised.  I foresee Jason will improve his touch-to-choose skills soon which will then prepare him for more advanced AAC device.

1 comment: