I went to visit a dying friend last week. He was 60+, had lung cancer for about 3 years...and his time is almost here. I was by his side, holding his bony hand, can't do much but pray for him. I'm glad he chose to accept Christ in time and knowing his soul will go to heaven put me in peace.
Looking at his listless body and half-open mouth, he reminded me of mom, when she passed away last year. But mom was lucky. She was blessed with a loving family and was surrounded by all her children and grandchildren. She was attended 24 hours a day throughout the 6 weeks before she passed away. She was pampered and loved up till the very last moment in this world. If the nurse did something unruly, mom was sure we would not only defend for her, but we did it fiercely. But my friend was lonely. He was left alone in his sickbed most of the day at palliative care. There was no one to hear him whine when he felt the sharp pain. So he did just that when we were there.
Illness is tough. I am totally at ease with death cuz as a Christian, I know that I will be going to heaven, an eternal home. But I am the kind of person who likes a loud goodbye, otherwise, it's just not nice. I hope when it's my time, I will be surrounded by my family and my best of friends, and be able to say goodbye.
Otherwise, it's just not nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment