Two Sundays ago, a pastoress from Singapore came to our church to give a sermon. Her message was about building a Chrisitian family. She mentioned her daughter was a special ed. teacher in Hong Kong for 18 years, but lately has to take a break because of a bad back after years of hard work. I obtained her contact anyway as I want to get information about special education system in Hong Kong before I go back. I called her last week and turned out to be the best decision I've made.
Her name was Julia. I can tell she was a little shocked when she heard I was calling from Canada. But after a brief introduction about me and Jason, how I got her number, she was quick to ask me questions about Jason and seems to know already how to help me. The way she talked was so calming and positive and reassuring, that you know you can trust her. She offered to refer Jason to one of the house doctors within what is called Hong Chee Association for the disabled, so that we can get a doctor's letter and start applying for school. She asked me what Jason can do, I told her how he can answer yes or no to questions, expressed his basic needs, etc...she immediately said he would be a good candidate for the school in Shatin, which is catered for those with physical and mild-to-moderate intellectual disabilities.
When I brought up the concern that Jason can only read certain English words but not Chinese, she said half of the students there do not know how to read either language or at all. But they will be taught pre-reading skills such as recognition of familiar signs in the community like MTR, washroom, etc... Then she said something which touched my heart. "There are toooo many things every one of us cannot do, so we don't count what one can NOT do. Instead, we look at what they CAN do and build upon those skills to help them reach their potential".
Isn't this so true? There are so many things each of us, able bodies, cannot do! I can't swim, you can't dance, he can't ride a bike, she can't play piano.... but we don't get classified by what we can't do! We respect each other for who we are, but not by how much we can or cannot do. And when I told her Jason is easily distractible and may not pay attention to his task on hand, her response to this remark made me cry immediately. She said, they believe that when a child did not pay attention or did not learn, it's not his/her fault, but that of the teachers. I cried because I have finally found a special ed. teacher with passion and conscience. I cried because I finally found someone who actually believed in and practiced what I wrote about the "Least Dangerous Assumption" (recall my post Reflection on the teaching journey dated Aug 7/2010.) I cried because I finally found a teacher who can rightfully take pride of her role as an educator, and not a unionized worker hanging onto a secure job.
Talking to her made me relieved. It rekindled my hope to Jason's future. I am looking forward to our meeting in November when I visit Hong Kong.
No comments:
Post a Comment